The Pondering AmericanPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

An average American that has some thoughts on politics, culture, and society with a conservative and Catholic twist.

Name:
Location: Louisiana, United States
Email me!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Louisiana Saint For this Sunday to meditate on St Charlene Richard- The little Cajun Saint

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We have some postings today don't worry. I shall be posting on the Louisiana races as well as post and put up some commentary on a important Wall Street Journal article that appeared over the weekend and much more. Right now I am still trying to get this Technorati thing to work. Perhaps I shall pray to St Richard for assistance

However, I thought I would take the time to talk about a special person this weekend. On August 11th many people and especially Cajuns celebrated a sort of unofficial Feast day of one of our Saints from Louisiana. She is not offical yet by the Vatican but I as well as many others believe in her. Now Saints of course are often misunderstood. We Catholics don't pray to them as Deities but ask them to pray for us. If you are having or no people that are having problems with Cancer maybe consider asking her to have a talk to our Lord about the matter

Anyway, I have been thinking about trying to do some daily Catholic focus on here. I ran across this delightful Louisiana Blogger and hope to reference him every day he post as to the Saint of the day. In fact she is going on my blogroll tonight

So let me introduce St Charlene Richard. The blogger from I think Eunice states:

Today is also the feast day of Charlene Richard (died 1959 at the age of 12 from leukemia), who is recognized in Cajun Louisiana as being a Saint, even if the Vatican is slow to recognize her as such. I credit her with my full recovery from colon cancer in 2001.(note her last name is not pronounce like "Richard" as in in Richard Simmons but like RE-SHARD)

This blogger went to the Mass at the Graveside last week she said:

At 5 we left for Richard, Louisiana to go to the Charlene Richard Memorial Mass. When I put on my mantilla (which isn’t long, just down to my shoulder) I felt like I had stepped back 40 years, back when all women had to wear lace thingies on their heads in church, and Mom was the person keeping lace thingies on the heads of Liz Ellen and me for church. Mom probably took an extra spin at me voluntarily putting on a lace thingie for Mass. (I keep my Mom spinning in her grave on a regular basis; she could probably power a small town if we hooked up a turbine to her.) The Mass for Charlene was very good; the last decade of the Rosary was said in French.



Prayer for Charlene’s Intercession

Charlene, when you were only twelve years old, you showed heroic faith, hope,
and love; dying of leukemia, you joined yourself to Jesus on His Cross and
offered your intense pain for others. You thereby echoed St. Paul’s words to his
people in Colossians 1, 24: “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and
in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf
of His Body, the Church.

Charlene, I believe you are with God. Please ask our Heavenly Father, His only
Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit to grant me the following favor:
(mention favor sought)

Charlene, thank you for helping me. May Jesus Christ always be praised. May Mary, Jesus’ Ever-Virgin Mother, always be called blessed.
Amen



Much more on her here also with prayers, pics and history.

Technorati Tags:


5 Comments:

Blogger we saw that... said...

nice, thanks for the history lesson. although we arent catholic we didnt know that there were such prominent louisiana catholic saints.

technorati is pretty easy way for people to find your blog and relevant posting(s) from their search function and we used to faithfully do those tags too but we learned that more likely than not technorati will not always pick up those tags and index them so its really just a colossal waste of time to go to all the trouble of doing the html. other than that though technorati is pretty much a plus.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Kathryn said...

wow! I was just wondering the other day who (besides my relatives & friends) might be reading my blog!

Thank you for the vote of confidence (and GEAUX TIGERS!)

1:36 AM  
Anonymous semperficatholic said...

Thanks for linking to my page on my cousin, Charlene Marie Richard. Yea, I know, I am a name dropper, lol. We are so excited that her Cause seems to be moving forward. Please pray for her beatification. I also would suggest petitioning her for her intercession.

Many blessings
semperfi

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALL I KNOW, IS THAT MY FRIEND DEBBY WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ENDODIMITRIOSIS AND SUSPECTED OF HAVEING CANCER.. BUT AFTER PRAYING FOR CHARLENES INTERCESSION.. WHEN SHE HAD HER SURGERY.. THE DOCTORS DIDNT FIND ANY CANCER AND THERE WAS NO ENDODIMITRIOSIS ANYWHERE...PRAISE GOD....SHE WAS ACTUALLY TOLD THAT SHE COULD NOT HAVE ANYMORE CHILDREN,BUT AFTER THE SURGERY THEY TOLD HER THEY SEEN NO REASON NOW, WHY SHE COULDNT.. THANK YOU CHARLENE.. MAY YOU BE CALLED BLESSED...

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to her grave sight twice already. She is definitely a miracle worker. Tomorrow I bring my sister to visit and pray. My sister was diagnosed with the stage before leukemia, but her condition is rapidly progressing. I am praying that through Charlene's intercession we can rid her of the dreadful disease.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


FREE Hit Counters!