The Pondering AmericanPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

An average American that has some thoughts on politics, culture, and society with a conservative and Catholic twist.

Name:
Location: Louisiana, United States
Email me!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Words Just Fail Me Sometimes

Cajun Tiger is a Louisiana Blogger currently in Iraq. He is probally having the type adventure of a lifetime over there that is only be fully appreciated after a couple of years back home. Before,I go on with my main object of this post go here to see how God is using this young man over there. That let get to the point of this post. Cajun tiger had this incredible post on the swearing in some new American Citizens in Saddams old digs no less. Let me just post what he said in part:
What an amazing thing to do on the 4th of July. Today, 89 LEGAL immigrants participated in a naturalization ceremony and became US citizens. Not only did they do it the LEGAL way, but they have already and will continue to put their life on the line in defense of the new citizenship they have just earned.

Now you can see from the rest of his entry and in the comment section that he and I differ on the illegal immigration issue a tad. That is ok. But I wanted to point out his above statement as the appropriate awe a rational American would have at hearing and reading about such a event. Now lets leave a American that is sane and rational and go elsewhere.

A couple of days ago the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs gave some pretty damn emotional testimony on immigration and the fact that we have immigrant and non American Citizens serving and dying for this country at this moment. Well Kennedy brought up the fact that often these guys come from mix familes(legal/illegal) and perhaps we should consider that when honoring their contribution. I think that is good point. There are of course some issues here that reasonable people can disagree on. Well yesterday I wandered over to one of the anti illegal Forums. That is the Forum for Americans for Legal immigration. Well like many sites for "legal immigration" they spend no time talking about reforming the system or anything to help legal immigrants. It is mostly talk about illegal Mexicans 24/7 over there. Spend some time around the forums I think it is pretty over the top. This thread talked about the General's speech.http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34209 He are a couple of responses:
Maybe we should remove the eligibility for non-U.S. citizens to serve in the military and earn citizenship because they become anchors for the rest of their family. This is an opportunity and a gamble. Also, the vast majority of our military men and women are not deployed in Iraq or even in a war zone. Let's put it this way Teddy, there are 24,000 non-citizens in the US military earning citizenship, instead of returning home and applying for citizenship. It's a different path and more noble than amnesty but it is still just a path to citizenship. Teddy, since you seem to hear and aid whiners, what special perks are my children getting for serving in the military that will compare to citizenship? What perk will I received that will compare to giving citizenship to the soldier's family? What reuniting family bonus will I receive that compares to citizenship?
Dixie

and not to be outdone

An Illegal Immigrant who joins the Military to gain favor such as Citizenship is a Mercenary, i don't care how many Metals he wins, he will always be a Merc lacking the true honor of a patriot. A Person who joins the Military as a matter of the Princple of defending his country without gaining favor of any kind is a True Soldier and Patriot. As a matter of History as i already stated, many countries that hired Mercenaries into their armies contrubuted to their downfall.

Youy know sometimes I am speechless how people lose all perspective ,when they get wrapped up in some issue. To Dixie, so what if it is a pathway to Citzenship, they are risking their lives for you to type your very thoughts on that forum. Your comments about being near a Warzone is also an insult to those serve ,American or non, in bases all over this country and around the World. Also ,If a new Citizen comes back from Iraq, can we please consider not deporting his wife for instance. Is that beyond the pale. I think that not so much to ask. Especially if God forbid he returned in a coffin.

Finally to the last comment. I think you need to go to a quiet Church someplace, and pray a bit for some peace. I don't know how many of these people had an irregular status as to residency before joing the military. For instance some might have been here for years , like since 2,and sort of crossed back over the border to Mexico for instance to apply to the miltary from there. I don't know. But to call any of these folks mercenaries is so beyond the pale I don't know what to say. Words fail me!!!! Get help.

I dont' have time right at this second but I am going to post a link to a terrific story on these Non American heros in about 30 to 40 minutes by Michael Yon

Update- A great Yon article ,one of his best ,on this issue. Also check out this one and this one too. Mercenaries, I think not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Thanks for the kind words.

I've been busy wrapping things up so I can leave this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to read your post on the MinuteMan stuff or anything concerning them the last few days nor gone back far enough to see your position on immigration to debate the issue with you right now.

My solution in a nutshell is:
1. Seal the borders, north and south
2. Pass stiff laws against companies who hire illegals and enforce them
3. Start a guest worker program from country of origin
4. Allow 2 year grace period for all here illegally to return to their home country w/o hinderance
5. Streamline and reform the immigration process
6. Pass tougher laws for breaking our immigration policies and enforce them at all levels of government

As far as "using" the military as a path to citizenship. That is one "amnesty" I have absolutely no problem with allowing. If you are willing to put your life on the line to defend my country, I have no problem with you becoming a citizen of my country.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Pondering American said...

Well I think that is something similar to the Pence plan. I think its downfall is still what to do with all the people that have American families here , but still its is more rational than what I hear from many. By the way, I am going to be in and out of Baton Rouge some next month. I don't know if you will have the opportunity to give your testimony about all the things that are happening over their in some setting like your church for instance. But if you do send me a email. I am in Baton rouge I would like to come by and hear it. Have fun on R and R.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dixie is right. Illegal Aleins should not serve in our military. Your just asking for infiltration of the worst kind. In the cold war, the USSR would have participated in that program.

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


FREE Hit Counters!